The US has been one of the worst affected countries amidst the Corona virus crisis. Not only the number of Corona positive cases, but the US economy and oil barrel prices have been in a declining state since January 2020. Amidst the rising problems for the US, President Donald Trump has decided to ban the immigration to the US with a blanket ban. Here are 5 important points to note.
1) Total number of COVID 19 cases in the US have reached more than 787, 000 with more than 42, 000 deaths.
2) Over the last month, more than 20 million citizens have registered for the unemployment benefits. This number is higher than the jobs that were added in the last 10 years.
3) The US administration believes that the immigration ban will counter 2 issues – lesser competition for existing jobs and lower number of imported infections.
4) Currently the immigration ban has been applied to those who seek to live and work in the US permanently, but it could be extended based on how the COVID 19 situation turns out in the coming months. This ban has been currently applied for 60 days. Trump said: “This order will only apply to individuals seeking a permanent residency. In other words, those receiving green cards. Big factor. It will not apply to those entering on a temporary basis … We want to protect our US workers and I think, as we move forward, we will become more and more protective of them.”
5) More than 1 million applicants were granted green card last year with most of them being family sponsored applications.
Follow TrendMantra on Facebook or Twitter by clicking the Like or Follow button below to stay updated with latest news related to COVID 19 pandemic.